WHO REALLY SENT THAT E-MAIL?
Along with the advantages available on the Internet, it is unfortunate but true that we must learn to exercise caution when clicking on links in e-mails we receive, or opening attachments to those e-mails. Just today I received e-mails that were SUPPOSEDLY sent by two friends. In both instances, my suspicions that the e-mails were hoaxes were confirmed. Both people indicated they had NOT sent the messages that seemed to be coming from them. My purpose in sharing this with you is to share the reasons for my suspicions and hopefully spare you the likelihood of becoming victimized by phony e-mail messages.
CLUES THAT YOU MIGHT BE LOOKING AT A “ROGUE” E-MAIL:
· Message has no “SUBJECT”
· There is no text included, just a link
· There are many RECIPIENTS listed in the TO ADDRESS area
· The message is not “typical” of what you normally receive from the “sender.” You “know” the styles and content of what is normally shared by many of your on-line friends. If the content looks different from what you’ve become accustomed to, be wary.
ACTION TO TAKE IF YOU SUSPECT THE E-MAIL IS A HOAX:
· DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK
· E-mail (or notify by phone if you are comfortable calling) the SUPPOSED Sender. You would want to know if bad stuff were being sent out with your name associated with it. When I have contacted people in this situation, they have always been extremely grateful.
WHAT IF THESE CLUES ARE NOT PRESENT?
It does not prove the e-mail is safe. PLEASE keep your anti-virus software up-to-date, use your common sense, and pray.
IF YOU GET AN E-MAIL THAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE FROM ME, LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING:
· Because I value your privacy, my e-mails that are sent to more than a single recipient will normally be sent using BLIND CARBON COPY. If you receive an e-mail from email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and there is a long list of e-mail addresses in the “TO” Address Field, be suspicious and let me know as soon as possible!
· If SUBJECT is blank, be suspicious and let me know as soon as possible! The only reason I will send a message with SUBJECT blank, is if I overlook entering the SUBJECT. If that is the case, I would appreciate being notified, and take corrective action.
THANKS for taking the time to read this.